Transitions


After yesterday's post, I began to wonder if I'm going through a good old-fashioned mid-life crisis. The thought surprised me since typically one thinks of men as the ones who go through a mid-life crisis, buying a sports car or a motorcycle. But as the feminist movement revealed, women often inhabit the space traditionally occupied by men.

So I headed to the Internet and searched for "mid-life women" which returned 1,240,000 hits. Clearly this subject is not a new one. I clicked on a link titled "Women turn midlife on its head"
which sent me to a Seattle Post-Itelligencer newspaper article from 2005 (hmmm, I used to live near Seattle). I chose this link since I was feeling turned on my head and wanted to learn how other women are coping. It's a good article and I recommend it to anyone experiencing a transition like this.

I identified with the report that women in mid-life are increasingly returning to school, but for me, there's something more going on, something on a deeper level. Sue Shellenbarger, a Wall Street Journal columnist, is quoted as saying "People think it's like a grease fire in a frying pan -- you put it out and it's over. What I think is, it's like an earthquake changing the terms of your life." An earthquake is more like what I went through recently. After an earthquake, you pick up the
pieces and you just want things to settle down.

Another woman described how "it's the little things that I discovered that I treasure like sleeping at night, walking my dog, enjoying a second cup of coffee and hanging out with friends." After a crisis, you savor the simple p
leasures and begin to look at the world differently, feeling anxious and excited in the knowledge that nothing will ever be the same again.

This mid-life time is a time of transition, not crisis. However, what can be challenging is dealing with a crisis during this transitional time when the landscape has changed so much. The beauty is in knowing that I am the landscaper.

Comments

  1. Mid life is a state of mind. If you embrace the fact that, after child-rearing and relationships, you suddenly have time to be your own person, it can be a very positive time. Many women throw in the towel at 45 and assume life is over because they're no longer "young". However, there's tons more fun to be had and acres of learning and self discovery. Plus, you're more settled financially than you were in your twenties and much more confident. Think positive! The best is yet to come.

    Laura Essendine
    Author – The Accidental Guru
    The Books Limited Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining my blog as a follower. I hope you enjoy future updates and I look forward to keeping up with your posts.

    Laura Essendine
    Author – The Accidental Guru
    The Books Limited Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment